**************************************************************************************
Saturday ... A "p.s." from me to you. Consider this a director's cut on a DVD
The people I've met - Joe the Salvation Army worker at Volunteer Village that Paula and I took a photo with way back in October 2006, Seth who works the Kitchen, Aisha who runs the Village cafeteria, Steve the senior member of the Hands-On camp (both in length of stay and probably in age), "Falcon" who has moved into New Orleans to continue her work after her original contract with AmeriCorps expired - have made such an impact on me. Much like the barista at "The Joy of Coffee" who knew my order after one visit, I will always associate them with Mississippi. When I see Ryan L's truck rolling down Division Street, I'm surprised he isn't driving it, 'tho I know he and his wife Kelly returned to their Oregon home in 2006. At lunch throughout the week, eating while facing what I guess used to be Jim and Nancy's "Montana" trailer, I nearly seem them both in every part of this town.
I know that Bill was prepared to do far more than painting this week, and he may feel like he didn't make that big of an impact, 'tho I hope I'm mistaken. Having us paint this week allowed for Doug and his crew to hang cabinets in another Biloxi resident's home. It allowed for shade structures to be added to local parks and playgrounds so that children can enjoy them. It freed up other long-termers that, quite frankly, we probably would have needed a lot of coaching to do ourselves.
Ling amazed me, too. She had literally just returned from a trip to our APAC offices and dealt with jet lag, new food, a very different culture, and less-than-ideal temperatures with grace and humor. She was totally game for all of it, asking questions and learning as much as she could. I'll be interested to read what both my co-workers thought of their overall experience.
As for me, this trip brought me even closer to a part of the country that I already treasure. I never go away without seeing something new - be it actual street signs or working stoplights - and a renewed sense of awe and wonder at the residents of this area and what they are capable of managing.
I know when I return in just over two months, there will likely be a whole bunch of new faces at camp - kids, really - with a goal of helping total strangers recover, rebuild, and renew their relationship with East Biloxi. I wonder if they know how much it will mean to those that live here and I doubt that they understand how much they will get out of it in return. For me, my work in East Biloxi remains an "obvious nicety" that makes all the bruising, sweat-equity, and fingernail-bashing a very small price to pay.
I have no regrets.
**************************************************************************************
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment