Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Week One, Day Four

Wednesday ...
Breakfast at 7am (Paula volunteered again and I was up anyway so I lend the group a hand) and we learn that our team of four will *finally* work on one project together.

We head to Miss Iona's home, passing several unplugged fire hydrants, flowing freely and rapidly. I ask if they are maybe cleaning the lines and our team leader, Emily tells us that, basically, these aren't a priority. The fireman's daughter in me is baffled. What if they need these? But then, lack of water isn't really a problem in Biloxi. Lack of drinking water, especially for the volunteers here, is another story (did ya' know that Miller Brewing cans drinking water? Yeah, news to me, too). Keeping hydrated while working is a daily issue and it’s strange but when you’re THIS hot, you kind of have to talk yourself into drinking water.

We spend the morning wiping everything we saved from Miss Iona’s sheds yesterday with "Shock", essentially bleach but stronger. This isn't to clean anything but it will kill any remaining mold. “Pretty” isn’t as important as “safe” – you have to prioritize when working on this level.

At lunch, I have a team call with the other organizers of the Gulf Project. I'm relieved to hear that they also can't believe the state of things here 13 months later. We break into two groups after lunch and wind up doing the same job (interior taping and painting) at different locations. Just like the homes that are either destroyed or fine, there are plants that seem to thrive on neglect, even in the worst neighborhoods.


OH, and I learned yesterday that the reason the freight trains keep their horns going while on Biloxi tracks is because there are no crossing rails to prevent cars from crossing unsafely. Are you kidding me?!?? It’s been thirteen months!! Mississippi needs skilled labor - electricians, draftsmen, architects - oh, and now that I know that my notes are being passed around, they could really use people that know how to use AutoCAD. Golly, if only I had some sort of "in" to get that to happen!

Thirteen months. People don't have power, water, and general safety of the population that has returned or is volunteering here is not a high priority. Thirteen months. I hope you are offended by this statistic. I know I am.

In case you were wondering, Jim tells us that he believes New Orleans is, at best, 6 to 8 months *behind* where Biloxi is today (that is if New Orleans starts rebuilding right now) ... and Biloxi is 3 years away from being where it was prior to Katrina.

No comments: