Monday, October 2, 2006

Week One, Day Two

Monday ...
An early wake-up because it’s already warm in our loft.

At breakfast, Paula and I look around and comment at how young our bunk-mates seem to be. Of course, there's no "seem" about it ... they ARE young. I recall what I spent my time and energy on when I was 22, 23 and it was nothing even close to being this selfless.

Nobody seems to have any doubts about why they are here. Oh, and NOBODY goes home when they planned to ... not by days or weeks - more like several months. A sign by the boot rack reminds us all why we’re here and helps to keep the teams focused.


We finish breakfast and drive to the Salvation Army volunteer camp (aka “Volunteer Village”), where we meet up with Jim P. He's from Portland, Oregon and he and his wife Nancy have been here pretty much since the week after Katrina hit. He reminds us to pace ourselves during the week. "You won't finish this week. We won't finish this month. We *may* be done in three years." I don't ask how long he'll be here for. Everyone I've asked that to thus far has had the same answer ... "as long as it takes". These people have families, friends, jobs, educational goals, lives ... but then, so did the people who lived in these houses, went to these schools, and used these parks.

Eva and Kerry Ann spend the day with a teammate of Jim - a guy named Richard C. They load, unload, move, and measure siding that will be installed onto waiting houses.

Meanwhile, Paula and I work with Curtis and Emily, who are both 19 years old. I note this only because to know and to work with these two, you would quickly see that they have life experiences, wisdom, priorities and demeanors 3 times that age or more. We paint the interior of one home and sweep another home of debris to prepare it for the next crew. That's where we meet Miss Dickson.
Miss Dickson was in the process of remodeling last year, prior to Katrina. Her daughter usually lives next door to her, but now they share a trailer. In the few minutes we spend with Miss Dickson, she shows spirit I didn’t expect but will see often this week. "I need bigger words than 'thank you'," she tells us.

Everyone knows Miss Dickson and she makes sure to leave her trailer next to her home to greet each team that arrives. The permit on her door says that she needs to be done building by the end of this year. The interior of her home is framed with bare wood and no sheetrock has been hung yet.

I don't doubt that these "kids" have the energy ... but there are neighborhoods - whole towns actually - full of homes like this.

Time is against the residents of East Biloxi and remember - this is 13 months after Katrina.

We return to our camp, enjoy a 4-minute ourdoor cold shower, eat dinner and two of us sign up for cooking breakfast for all of our roommates -so it'll be a 5:15am start tomorrow morning.

MAYBE my painting arm will have stopped shaking by then.

No comments: