Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Week Four, Day Four

Wednesday ...
Well, it wouldn't be Wednesday in Biloxi if it wasn't raining. It (apparently) started raining last night. I wouldn't know as I fell asleep at 10pm and didn't come-to until 6:15am when my alarm went off.


After a brief mocha run and breakfast at camp, we head over to Mike G.'s office. We obviously won't be working on the siding project but he'll find something else for us to do. The rain is nearly done by the time we're assigned to move the office space that houses Architecture For Humanity, as well as Biloxi City Councilman and Executive Director of the East Biloxi Coordination and Relief Center Bill Stallworth, and the rest of the East Bilxoi Resource Center.
I'm plenty happy with the idea of assisting on anything that helps Bill - he has done a tremendous amount of great work for the people of East Biloxi and he never hesitates to lend a hand, no matter what the task. In fact, after we realize that we have a trailer but no vehicle to tow it, Bill tosses another staffer the keys to his pickup truck. It's this kind of "doing what needs to be done" attitude that's allowed this area to make the kind of progress it has. Yes, there is lots more to be done, but there's also lots that HAS been accomplished. (Even the new offices they'll be moving into aren't totally done, but they're "done" enough.)


I'm reminded of those accomplishments when I stop into the village at lunch and run into Richard C. from the Beaverton crew. He happily gives me updates on all of the projects we worked on in 2006, just like Jim did last year. He also asked me how Bruce is doing (a 2006 Week #2 volunteer) and I let him know that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Bruce sign up for our August or November '07 weeks.

During the afternoon, I also get to catch up with Curtis, my very first boss (Paula and I painted the interior of a home with he and Emily during Week #1 '06.) He tells me that he'll be heading home to Portland in June and wants to work in a construction crew. I have no doubt that he'll have his choice of job offers, considering his experiences here.

Unloading the trailer takes considerably less time than loading and we're all very happy to see that there are no flights of stairs to deal with at the new offices (unlike the two flights at the old location). I also notice that the new space seems familiar ...
and then it occurs to me: Patricia, John, and other members of the brick cleaning crew worked on this site on Week #3 '06. I remember John talking about the floor sealing process being pretty labor-intensive, so I should state that yes, the floor looks great. Nice work, you guys!
Tomorrow will be my last work day in Biloxi for the time being. It looks like it may rain tonight but I know that if it does, we'll find something to do.
********************
I'd like to end today's entry with a quiet round of "Happy Birthday". Today, shortly after 8amPT, my sister and brother-in-law welcomed their second daughter, Sophia Nicole, into the world. I've been told that everyone is happy and healthy.

What more could ya' ask for?

No comments: