Lots of folks throughout America were probably dreading the arrival of April 15th ... aka "Tax Day". I'll admit - I was dreading the arrival of today, too ... because my Sunday started at 4:15amPT. I was at the airport by 5:30am to make the first of my two flights today. I spent 3 1/2 hours between connections at LAX, where I thoroughly enjoyed my last Starbucks Mocha for the week.
I'll be meeting Ella at New Orleans Airport, where she's been waiting for the rest of the team to arrive. Nate and Mark land a few minutes after I do and then we'll have our 2 hour drive to Biloxi. (Raymond and Lonnie will be there when we arrive.)
I'm writing this as my flight circles above New Orleans, where I see signs of construction, tattered blue tarps along rooftops, empty pools, battered buildings ... and what I think is a wedding party as they leave their church. We're getting there. Whatever "normal" used to be in the Gulf Coast is gone, but there are signs of the new "normal" emerging.
As we stop at Walgreens to pick up some supplies on the way to camp, Ella notices the best sign of the new normal ... a Starbucks is in the process of being built on Pass Road in Gulfport, MS - about 3 blocks from the camp site.
No comments:
Post a Comment